York Social Services

Find York Maine departments of social services, DSS, DPSS, and human services. Departments of social services provide information on food stamps, public assistance, welfare, housing, healthcare, emergency assistance, and child services.

Dover Social Service Department 484 Middle Rd Dover NH 03820 12.5 miles from York 603-516-6475

Massachusetts State Social Service Department 200 Scotland Road Newbury MA 01951 31.4 miles from York 978-462-7478

Portland Social Service Department 196 Lancaster Street Portland ME 04101 37.9 miles from York 207-775-7911

Lawrence Social service Department 15 Union Street Lawrence MA 01840 42.5 miles from York 978-557-2500

Salem Social service Department 45 Congress Street Salem MA 01970 47.2 miles from York 978-825-3800

Lowell Social service Department 33 East Merrimack Street Lowell MA 01852 51.0 miles from York 978-275-6800

Lynn Social service Department 33 North Common Street Lynn MA 01902 52.0 miles from York 781-477-1600

Social Services Near Me

Social Services by City

About Social Services

Who is eligible for Social Services?

Eligibility varies depending on the type of program and the state, county, or local agency. Many programs are based on income and available only to households below a certain income threshold. Other programs may be targeted for specific groups, such as children, the elderly, or people with disabilities.

How do Social Services Departments verify eligibility for programs?

Participation in income-based programs typically requires applicants to provide pay stubs to verify income. Bank statements, tax returns, Social Security benefit letters, and similar documents may also be required. Verification of eligibility for other programs depends on the nature of the service, and the required documentation may include letters from health providers, heating or utility bills, rent or mortgage payments.

What are the requirements for working at a Social Services Department?

Social Workers are among the most common positions in Social Services Departments. Most Social Workers have a Bachelors of Social Work (BSW) degree, though many positions require a Masters of Social Work (MSW). Some form of licensing or certification is required in almost every state. In some cases, several years of supervised work may be part of the licensing process.