Houston Social Services

Find Houston Texas departments of social services, DSS, DPSS, and human services. Departments of social services provide information on food stamps, public assistance, welfare, housing, healthcare, emergency assistance, and child services.

Harris County Social Service Department 9418 Jensen Drive Houston TX 77093 713-696-7900

Houston Social Service Department 8000 North Stadium Drive Houston TX 77054 713-794-9200

Texas State Social Service Department 5425 Polk Street Houston TX 77023 713-767-2700

Harris County Social Service Department 3737 Red Bluff Road Pasadena TX 77502 15.9 miles from Houston 713-472-5360

Galveston County Social Service Department 174 Calder Road League TX 77573 26.2 miles from Houston 281-316-8733

Fort Bend County Social Service Department 4520 Reading Road Rosenberg TX 77471 27.9 miles from Houston 281-342-7300

Texas State Social Service Department 2017 North Frazier Street Conroe TX 77301 37.9 miles from Houston 936-538-1256

Texas State Social Service Department 110 East Burleson Street Wharton TX 77488 53.8 miles from Houston 979-532-5310

Social Services Near Me

Social Services by City

About Social Services

Who is eligible for Social Services?

Eligibility varies depending on the type of program and the state, county, or local agency. Many programs are based on income and available only to households below a certain income threshold. Other programs may be targeted for specific groups, such as children, the elderly, or people with disabilities.

How do Social Services Departments verify eligibility for programs?

Participation in income-based programs typically requires applicants to provide pay stubs to verify income. Bank statements, tax returns, Social Security benefit letters, and similar documents may also be required. Verification of eligibility for other programs depends on the nature of the service, and the required documentation may include letters from health providers, heating or utility bills, rent or mortgage payments.

What are the requirements for working at a Social Services Department?

Social Workers are among the most common positions in Social Services Departments. Most Social Workers have a Bachelors of Social Work (BSW) degree, though many positions require a Masters of Social Work (MSW). Some form of licensing or certification is required in almost every state. In some cases, several years of supervised work may be part of the licensing process.