Hawaii Town & City Hall

Find Hawaii town & city halls. Town and city halls provide information on government agencies, boards, commissions, committees, departments, and elected officials.

Town & City Halls Near Me

Town & City Halls by County

About Town & City Halls

What is a Town or City Hall?

A Town or City Hall is a building that serves as the focal point of government activity for a town or city. It is typically the location where the proceedings of the city or town's legislative body take place and usually houses the central offices for the executive and administrative functions of the government. Depending on the size of the building, some municipal functions, and a number of citizen services may operate out of a Town or City Hall.

Most Town or City Halls have a chamber where public meetings of the Town Council, City Council, or other elected legislative body take place. The chambers are set up to allow for discussion among Council members and executive and administrative officers, as well as members of the public interested in addressing the Council. Audience seating is available for members of the public and the media to observe public meetings. Many Town or City Halls are also equipped with telecommunications equipment to allow for taping and televising of public meetings. Other elected and appointed boards and commissions, such as Planning and Zoning Commissions, may also use the chambers for their meetings, particularly if members of the public or media attend the meetings.

In most cities and towns, the office of the chief executive or administrative official, such as the City or Town Manager, is located in Town or City Hall. Depending on the size of the building and how the departments are organized, other administrative functions may also be located in Town or City Hall, such as the Finance Department or Human Resources. Many of the operating departments that have direct interaction with citizens are located in Town or City Hall, including the Clerk's Office, Tax Collector, and Building Inspector. Departments that have extensive or specialized space requirements, such as Police, Fire, Library, and Public Works, tend to be located in separate stand-alone facilities.

Some communities may create a complex or campus of multiple buildings that house government operations. These may be referred to as government centers or municipal centers instead of Town or City Hall. Some communities that have moved government operations to a new facility may preserve a Town or City Hall as a historic site or museum.