Texas Food Stamp Office

Find Texas Food Stamp Offices and SNAP benefits. Food stamp offices provide information on foodstamps and SNAP program (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) elibility (application, guidelines and income requirements), EBT/SNAP balance lookups, card numbers and mybenefits.

Food Stamp Offices by County

Anderson County Andrews County Angelina County Atascosa County Austin County Bandera County Bastrop County Baylor County Bee County Bell County Bexar County Bosque County Bowie County Brazoria County Brazos County Brewster County Brooks County Brown County Burleson County Burnet County Caldwell County Calhoun County Callahan County Cameron County Camp County Cass County Castro County Chambers County Cherokee County Childress County Coleman County Collin County Colorado County Comal County Cooke County Coryell County Culberson County Dallam County Dallas County Dawson County DeWitt County Deaf Smith County Denton County Dimmit County Eastland County Ector County El Paso County Ellis County Erath County Falls County Fannin County Fayette County Fort Bend County Franklin County Frio County Gaines County Galveston County Garza County Gillespie County Goliad County Gonzales County Gray County Grayson County Gregg County Grimes County Guadalupe County Hamilton County Hardin County Harris County Haskell County Hays County Henderson County Hidalgo County Hill County Hockley County Hood County Hopkins County Houston County Howard County Hunt County Hutchinson County Jackson County Jasper County Jefferson County Jim Hogg County Jim Wells County Johnson County Jones County Karnes County Kaufman County Kendall County Kerr County Kimble County Kinney County Kleberg County Lamar County Lamb County Lavaca County Lee County Leon County Liberty County Limestone County Lubbock County Madison County Matagorda County McCulloch County McLennan County Medina County Midland County Milam County Montague County Montgomery County Moore County Morris County Nacogdoches County Navarro County Newton County Nolan County Nueces County Ochiltree County Orange County Palo Pinto County Panola County Parker County Pecos County Polk County Potter County Presidio County Real County Red River County Reeves County Robertson County Rockwall County Runnels County Rusk County Sabine County San Jacinto County San Patricio County San Saba County Scurry County Shelby County Smith County Starr County Swisher County Tarrant County Taylor County Terry County Titus County Tom Green County Travis County Upshur County Uvalde County Val Verde County Van Zandt County Victoria County Walker County Waller County Ward County Washington County Webb County Wharton County Wilbarger County Willacy County Williamson County Wilson County Wood County Young County Zapata County Zavala County

What is a Food Stamp Office?

A Food Stamp Office refers to a state agency that administers the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Commonly referred to as "Food Stamps" SNAP benefits are a form of nutrition assistance provided to income-eligible households through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). SNAP benefits are intended to reduce food insecurity and poverty by supplementing the food purchasing power of low-income households. SNAP funds are distributed to the states. The states have a measure of flexibility in how they administer the program and target the benefits.

Eligibility for SNAP benefits is largely based on a household's income and assets. Income and asset limits vary based on household size, and are typically less restrictive for households with elderly or disabled members. SNAP requires able-bodied adults without dependents to work or participate in qualified training or education programs in order to receive benefits. Children, seniors, and the disabled are exempt from the work requirement. A person must be a citizen, or lawfully documented non-citizen, to qualify for SNAP benefits. Households that receive cash benefits from another means-tested program, such as Supplemental Social Security Income, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or General Assistance, automatically qualify for SNAP.

Participating households receive a monthly benefit that may be used to purchase household food items or plants and seeds to grow food. The benefit is provided on an electronic debit card that can be used at supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, farmers markets, and other places selling eligible items. In some states, the same card is used for other cash assistance programs.

In most states, the Department of Social Services, Department of Human Services, or similar agency administers SNAP. Some states delegate much of the program administration to the counties. The agency administering SNAP is responsible for accepting and processing applications from households, determining eligibility, and distributing the benefits. Applications are accepted at agency field offices, though almost every state also offers the option of applying online. The agencies that administer SNAP typically administer other federal assistance programs, such as TANF and Medicaid, as well as state assistance programs. As a result, these agencies are often able to offer integrated case management services and have developed shared information technology and eligibility systems.