Find libraries, such as state, town, city, public, private, college and university library branches. Libraries provide information on applications, borrowing books, ebooks, library programs, online databases and research.
What is a Library?
A library is any institution that stores and makes available books, information or reading material. Libraries exist at the national, state and city levels with some being private and others public. Some larger library systems have locations in multiple cities or towns, also known as branches. There are also college and university libraries. Although this type of institution traditionally contained only books, most libraries nowadays feature digital research databases, newspapers, magazines, CDs, and DVDs. Often, access to the internet is also available through onsite computers. Some libraries still use older forms of media, such as videotapes and microfiche, and others include more advanced options like e-books and blue-rays. Today the world is changing, and libraries are as well. They offer programs that give access to online databases and research, as well as other vital community services and access to information.
Libraries are responsible for
- Lending books. Of course, libraries traditionally lend books to people. Since library cards are typically free, the public has free access to almost any information they wish.
- Offering learning programs. Libraries help their communities by providing a variety of educational programs including literacy and storytelling sessions.
- Aiding in education. Libraries are responsible for supporting educational efforts in many ways. Not only do they provide books, but they also offer computers, Internet services, and access to online databases. They also provide a quiet space for students to do homework and focus on academic pursuits.
- Community gatherings. Libraries help communities by creating a common space available to everyone. As well as other benefits, this institution offers for people to gather and collaborate on all sorts of projects.
- Providing technology. The library helps members of the community access technology such as computers. For many low-income people, this is their only connection to the internet.
Are there different types of Libraries?
There are many different types of libraries. Public libraries lend books, have rooms for programs and community spaces, and offer resources for people of all ages. Academic libraries are found within universities and colleges and are designed and operated specifically for students, instructors, and school staff. School libraries are found in most public and private schools.